A WiFi QR code (Quick Response code) is a type of barcode that can be scanned using a smartphone camera to connect to a WiFi network without manually entering the network's name and password. The QR code contains all the necessary information for the device to connect to the network, such as the network's SSID (Service Set Identifier), authentication type, and password.
When a user scans the QR code, the device will automatically connect to the WiFi network without the need for any additional steps. This can be a more convenient way for customers to access the internet when they are on a business's premises, as it eliminates the need to enter the network's information manually.
WiFi QR codes can be created using a QR code generator website or app. They can be customized to include the business's logo, colour scheme, and other branding elements, making them an effective marketing tool that can help to promote the business's brand. Additionally, a WiFi QR code can be used to collect data on the customers that connect to the WiFi network, such as how long they stay connected, and what device they are using.
A WiFi QR code can provide several benefits for a small business:
- Convenience: A WiFi QR code allows customers to easily connect to the business's WiFi network by simply scanning the code with their smartphone, rather than manually entering the network's name and password.
- Branding: A WiFi QR code can be designed to include the business's logo, colour scheme, and other branding elements, making it an effective marketing tool that can help to promote the business's brand.
- Data collection: By using a QR code management platform, the business owner can collect data on the customers that connect to the WiFi network, such as how long they stay connected, and what device they are using. This data can be used to better understand customer behaviour and make informed decisions.
- Improved customer experience: A WiFi QR code can help to improve the customer experience by providing them with a fast and easy way to access the internet while on the business's premises. This can help to make their experience more enjoyable and increase the likelihood of them returning to the business in the future.
- Increased customer engagement: A WiFi QR code can be used to direct customers to a landing page where they can interact with the business, such as signing up for a newsletter, filling out a survey, or leaving a review. This can help to increase customer engagement and provide valuable feedback to the business.
- Cost-effective: A WiFi QR code is a cost-effective solution for providing WiFi access to customers as it does not require any additional hardware or software.
- Easy to update: If the business owner uses a QR code management platform, updating the WiFi network information and the QR code will automatically change, allowing the owner to update the WiFi network and not having to generate new QR codes every time.
Here are the steps to create a QR code for an automatic WiFi sign-inn using LinkTrak:
- Go to the QR code generator page: https://linktrak.me/user/qr/create.
- Select "WiFi" as the type of QR code you want to create.
- Enter the following information:
- SSID: The name of the WiFi network
- Authentication type: The type of authentication used for the WiFi network (e.g. WPA, WPA2, etc.) Usually, it would be WPA/WPA2.
- Password: The password for the WiFi network
- Customize the design of your QR code if desired. Add your colours, logo and style - ensure it is still easily scannable.
- Download or print the QR code.
- Share the QR code with your customers or post it in your store, and they can scan the code to quickly connect to the WiFi network.
- Try this simple Canva WiFi Scan page example.